What to do if your firestick remote is not working?
If your firestick remote is not working, it may be due to the following reasons:
- The firestick remote has no batteries.
- The firestick remote is not paired or the remote won’t pair to the firestick.
- The remote has some malfunction in it.
Firestick remote not working: Low Battery
If your firestick remote is low on battery, the warning for it will most definitely come up on your tv screen, in the bottom right hand corner while using the firestick. However, it is possible that the batteries lost charge when you were away or the firestick was not in use. In such a case, simply replacing the old batteries with a fresh set should rectify the problem, however, if sometimes the remote will still not work, you may need to do a firestick remote reset and reprogram or repair the remote to the firestick and the television set.
Firestick remote not working: Remote won’t pair to firestick
If your firestick remote is not paired it will have a blinking amber light. To pair this remote to your firestick, stand at a distance of approximately 10 feet from the Tv, point the remote towards the television. Now press and hold the Home button (button with the house icon) on your remote for 10 seconds. Once paired the light on the remote will flash blue three times and then stop blinking.
However you may have multiple firesticks and it is possible that your remote was originally paired to some other firestick. in order to reset the firestick remote read further.
How to pair firestick remote to television
Once you have paired your firetv remote, the volume and power buttons may not directly work. The reason for this is IR frequency mismatch between the Television remote and the firestick remote. In order to correct this mismatch and to control tv volume and power from your firestick remote do the following:
- Open Fire TV stick menu on your TV.
- Go to Settings -> Equipment Control.
- Under Equipment Control, go to Manage Equipment -> TV > Change TV
- Select the brand of the TV on the next menu.
- The next screen will ask you to press the power button on the firestick remote. You have to follow the on screen prompts here. Once the remote successfully restarts the television, the firestick will go to the next step.
- Once the power button is detected, proceed with the next screen for volume controls. It should also be detected automatically.
However, sometimes the firestick might not detect the IR profile for your television. In such a case you can manually select the IR profile from all available brands and try if it works for you. To do this you have to follow the normal TV pairing procedure till the firestick prompts you to press the power button. From here, press No. It would take you to the first screen again. Press the small button with three-line for Advanced Setup. On the next screen, you need to choose the IR profile of your TV. Finding the IR profile is difficult since there are literally hundreds of brand and profile combinations. But if all else fails this is the only possible process. For every brand there would be about 10 to 15 profiles listed. You should ideally try your own brand of television first, if you don’t find the correct match, you can then restart the procedure with a different brand and try the combinations.
How to reset Firestick remote
If replacing the batteries in the remote does not make it work, or if the remote is having any other kind of malfunction, you will probably need to reset the Firestick remote and clear its memory. Follow the steps here in order to reset the Firestick remote.
- Unplug the Firestick or Fire Tv adapter from the electricity and wait 60 seconds.
- Press the left, menu and back button on the remote at the same time and keep them held down for 12 to 15 seconds and then release them.
- Remove the batteries from the remote.
- Plug-in the Fire Tv to the electricity and wait for it to start completely.
- Once on the home screen, insert the batteries in the remote
- The light in the remote should flash amber
- Press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds to initialise paring.
What to do if you have an unusable remote or if you have lost your remote?
How to use firestick without remote controler?
Despite all our efforts, electronics can sometimes be dodgy animals and just not budge. Similarly if your firestick remote will not work and just have to watch that show, there is a way to use the firestick without the remote controller. The Fire TV has a feature which allows you to use a phone as a remote. This procedure is only possible if the Fire device is already set up and connected to the wifi. You can use an Android device with android version 4.0 or higher or an Apple device with iOS version 7 or higher. Here is how to use your phone as remote for Amazon Fire TV and Amazon Fire Stick:
- Ensure your mobile or tablet is connected to the same wifi that the Fire TV is connected to.
- Download and install the Amazon Fire TV App form the Play Store or the app store of your device.
- Open the Application and sign in to your Amazon account if you remember the login details.
- In case you don’t remeber the login details, just select the Fire TV you would like to control.
- Your television will display a code, enter this on the mobile device.
- Your Amazon Fire TV Stick remote is ready on your Mobile.