Why does my FireStick keep Freezing?
Does your Firestick keep freezing?
Do you have to press a button multiple times before your Firestick registers it?
Are your apps on the Firestick freezing or getting stuck?
Well, the Firestick is a wonderful and a very economic piece of equipment but as it has its merits it also has its cons. The Fire stick is generally shipped with very little onboard memory which becomes the primary reason behind the Firestick freezing and getting stuck. Though, there may be other reasons as well. So, if your Firestick is frozen or if your Firestick generally freezes, read on.
Analysing and troubleshooting the Firestick.
Before troubleshooting the Firestick, we need to identify the problem area and then figure out the root cause behind it. To start lets figure out the following:
- Is the Firestick booting up completely: The first thing to check here is if the Firestick is turning on completely. If the Firestick is getting stuck on the firestick boot logo, this represents a software issue and can be fixed by some minor troubleshooting. Read Firestick stuck on boot logo.
- Is your remote communicating with the Firestick: If your Firestick is turning on completely and coming up to its home screen, then there is no software issue with it. Sometimes we perceive communication issues between the Firestick and the remote as a frozen Firestick. The remote might be low on charge or might have some other issues affecting its performance. If you think it is a remote issue. Read Firestick freezing-Remote issues.
- Is your Firestick out of storage: The Firestick or any other device for that matter can start acting up and freezing if the free storage on the device is going low. The software of the device uses up available free space to keep application history or the last application state in a saved file. This is always shown as free space but in reality is getting used. Linux refers to this as swap space. You can check the memory by going into Setting > Device > About. If you think storage is the root cause of your issues, read Firestick freezing-Memory full
Firestick stuck on boot logo
If your Firestick is stuck on the boot logo the reason may be a hardware failure, HDMI connection failure or a software failure. To rectify this follow the steps below:
- Make sure the power cord for the Firestick is connected to the original power adapter and not to a USB port on the TV or to a third party adapter.
- Disconnect the power cord from the Firestick, wait one minute and reconnect the power cord. Check if this resolves the issue.
- If a simple restart does not fix the issue, disconnect the HDMI adapter and fix the Firestick directly to an HDMI port on the television.
- Remove the power cord for the Television and the Firestick
- Wait 2 to 3 minutes and reconnect the power cords.
- If the fire stick still does not boot properly. Disconnect the power cord from the Firestick and also disconnect it from the television.
- Wait 25 to 30 minutes
- Reconnect the Firestick and connect its power cable
- It should boot up properly
- If the issue still persists, let the Firestick stay on for another 25 minutes
- Now press the Back and right side of the navigation circle for 10 seconds
- If you get a factory reset prompt, proceed with the factory reset
However there are chances, if there is a hardware or firmware defect that this Firestick will not work even after going through all these steps. You should be well prepared to order a replacement if that is the case.
Firestick freezing-Remote issues
If your Firestick boot fine uphill the home screen but does not work properly or it misses your inputs, chances are the connection between the Firestick and the remote is to be blamed. To check this, try using your cellphone as Firestick Remote. If your cell phone works fine as a remote for the fire stick, you can then be sure that your physical Firestick Remote is to be blamed. In such a case, try changing the batteries in the remote and try to reset the remote and pair it again. Read more on what to do if your Firestick Remote is not working here.
Firestick freezing-Memory full
If you believe that the Firestick is running out of storage then you have two options. One is that you can simply perform a factory reset on the Firestick and start afresh. Second you can try and clear out the excessive individual applications that you do not use but are still there on the device.
To factory reset the Firestick, simply go to Settings > My Fire TV > Reset To Factory Defaults. This will take approximately 20 minutes and will clear out the whole storage and give you a fresh device with approximately 5GB of usable storage on the device as the rest is consumed for storing the operating system.
To remove individual files, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications. Here select the application you do not use and wish to remove and press uninstall.
In my professional opinion I suggest users to keep as few application as possible and I recommend amazon to upsize the storage available and make the device more flexible to support unofficial apks as well.